How to see your phone notifications on Oculus Quest 2
Any seasoned VR user will know the experience: smashing boxes to the sound of the beat in Beat Saber or exploring the zombie-infested world of The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners when you hear your iPhone beeping. Is it an important message or just an annoying game notification?
Where previously you had to detach the Oculus Quest 2 to review, an update now allows you to mirror your iPhone notifications and view them in VR so you can quickly review and get back to the action.
While it was originally reserved for iPhone users only, Oculus has since rolled out an update that brings the functionality to Android users. So as long as you have an iPhone or Android and an Oculus Quest 2, here’s how to see your notifications in VR.
How to get phone notifications in VR with Quest 2
Before we begin, it’s worth noting that you’ll need Oculus Quest software v30.1 or later if you have an iPhone, or v34 or later if you have an Android. You can check this yourself from within Quest 2 by going to Settings > About and there clicking an update button to update to the latest software.
Once you’re running the latest Quest software, here’s how to view your phone notifications in VR.
On your smartphone
- Open the Oculus app on your phone (the phone you used to set up the headset).
- Tap the Devices tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Your Oculus Quest 2 should appear in the list if it’s nearby and powered on – tap on it.
- Tap Phone notifications.
- Tap Next.
- Confirm the pairing request on your phone by tapping Pair on the pop-up window.
- On the next popup, tap Allow to give the app permission to mirror your iPhone notifications.
- Tap Turn on to enable the feature.
- You will then be taken to the phone notifications settings menu where you can customize what notifications you receive in your headset.
On your Oculus Quest 2
- Put on the Oculus Quest 2 headset.
- Go to Settings > Notifications and turn on phone notifications.
- You can also customize notification settings from the Phone Notifications menu in the headset.
That’s it! Once you’ve followed these steps and enabled the feature on both your phone and Oculus Quest 2, you should start seeing notifications in VR. They appear at the bottom of the screen and clicking on them takes you to the notifications menu.
It’s worth noting that while you can see notifications, you can’t yet edit messages (so you can reply to texts in the headset) or delete them from your smartphone notification center, although those would be nice additions in the future.
See more new articles in category: GUIDES